Bowls Management Committee Feedback

MINUTES OF THE CANBERRA NORTH BMC MEETING OF 23 OCTOBER 2019

 

APOLOGIES – Deb McGown, Hilary Merritt, Kate Schipp

CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES OF MEETING ON 18 SEPTEMBER 2019

The minutes of the previous meeting were presented. Rob Rawson moved that the minutes be confirmed and this was seconded by Ray McInnes. The motion was carried.

BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES

Steve Cottle contacted Jeremy about the purchase of coloured bowls. Jeremy noted that the Jack Attack competition had been deferred until the new year and suggested that the matter be reviewed then. A discussion followed. Ned noted that the purchase is not a priority for the Association, as they have more than enough bowls for barefoot bowlers. Graeme noted that we have a quote for 21 sets of bowls at about $4400. Ned suggested that 12 sets might be more realistic and more amenable to the Association’s budget. But all of this is dependent on what happens with Jack Attack.

CORRESPONDENCE

Various items from Bowls ACT were forwarded to members or posted on the noticeboard.

An email was received offering the purchase of bowls mats but we have no need at the present time.

REPORT FROM ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT

Ned advised that the financial position is strong, trending a little in front of budget at the moment.

The club has also invested in some shade cloth to keep out the afternoon sun on the balcony side of the club.

Greens maintenance is running on schedule.

ISSUES FROM BMC MEMBERS

RUC buck prizes

There was a discussion about the amount of RUC bucks being awarded as prizes. Ned noted that there was an agreement that prizes would be set at 20% of green fees collected on the day. There have been some instances recently where prizes have exceeded this amount. It was agreed that the prize on any day would be $30 to be split among the winners. There will only be a second prize if there are 24 or more bowlers on a given day. The prize for second will be $10 per player. Prizes will be awarded by lucky rink draw on Wednesday to Saturday. On Tuesday the first prize will be for the winners of 2 games with the highest winning margin in the second game. Second prize will be for the first game losers who win their second game by the highest winning margin.

Presentation day

The annual presentation day went off very well. The BMC wanted to record its appreciation to Denise Seaton, who decorated the tables stylishly. Thanks Denise.

Special events committee

The tournaments committee is now to be known as the Special Events Committee. Members are Margaret, Mark, Nathan and Kate. They will be responsible for organising all special events, like the Terry Doyle day, the King and Queen etc.

The next special event is the Hamper day on 1 December. It is proposed to have a day similar to presentation day, with bowls commencing at 10am and lunch about 12.45. Ned agreed that the RUC could provide a lunch for $25 per person.

It was also noted that the Terry Doyle day will need to be moved to 19 January 2020, to fit on with the Bowls ACT agenda. Rob is to advise Anna.

Noel Barnsley’s suggestions

The first item to be addressed is to approach the RUC about signage which encourages people to have a go at bowling. Rob and Mark to talk to RUC management.

Encouraging Wednesday/Friday bowlers to get involved in pennants

There was consensus that we should encourage Wednesday/Friday bowlers to play pennants. Graeme noted that a number have already put their names down as players or reserves.

Bowls ACT draft calendar for 2020

It was agreed that CNBC was happy with the draft program. We should also nominate 2 and 3 May as the dates for the CNBC King and Queen event.

RUC support for Greenkeepers day

The BMC wanted to note its appreciation to the RUC for the support provided for the Greenkeepers day held at CNBC. The RUC provided cheap drinks and food for attendees.

Club hoodies

Hilary Merritt has checked out some hoodies that members may be interested in for winter. They are about half the price of a club jacket. We need a minimum order of 5 to make it worthwhile.

New members

Nominations for the following people were approved:

  • Allan Poder
  • Scean Kearns
  • David Richardson
  • Maria Mason
  • Paul Doubleday
  • Graham Helmers.

Next meeting

The next meeting will be on 20 November, starting at 12.15pm.

 

Rob Rawson                                             Mark Carter

President                                                   Secretary

MINUTES OF THE CANBERRA NORTH BMC MEETING OF 18 SEPTEMBER 2019

 

APOLOGIES – Deb McGown

CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES OF MEETING ON 19 JULY 2019

The minutes of the previous meeting were presented. Rob Rawson moved that the minutes be confirmed, with one minor correction to the name of a new member, and this was seconded by John Merritt. The motion was carried.

BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES

We need to remind Steve Cottle to talk to Jeremy about the purchase of coloured bowls.

CORRESPONDENCE

Various items from Bowls ACT about tournaments were forwarded to members or posted on the noticeboard.

An email from Access Canberra dated 5 September 2019, being the invoice for agricultural chemicals. Alyson is organising payment.

An email from Bowls ACT dated 5 September 2019, being the invoice for the first instalment of Affiliation fees with Bowls ACT for 2019-20. The cost, which will be about half, is $4909. Alyson is organising payment.

There was no outgoing correspondence.

REPORT FROM ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT

Hilary Merritt reported that a letter form Belconnen bowling club had been received sounding out a possible amalgamation.

ISSUES FROM BMC MEMBERS

It was confirmed that white pants can be worn for club championship games, but not for pennant games (when green pants must be worn). It was also agreed that club uniforms need not be worn for some tournaments, i.e., minor tournaments, handicap tournaments and the mixed pairs.

It was agreed to set up a meeting with Noel Barnsley, either the next BMC meeting or a separate meeting, to follow through on his recommendations for promoting bowls at CNBC. Mark Carter to follow up.

It was agreed that raffles would only be held at home pennant games and special events, like the upcoming presentation day and Xmas hamper day.

AGENDA ITEMS

The status of a proposed Jack Attack competition was discussed. It was agreed that there was insufficient time to have one in October. Rob is to discuss with Bowls Australia. It may be possible to do something in February or March 2020.

A suggestion from Ron Kirk about the format for Thursday afternoon bowls was discussed. The proposal was for a change of format once a month, whereby the teams would change position during the game, eg, leads and skips in a pairs game would swap positions half way through the game. It was agreed to sound out regular Thursday bowlers about their views

It was further agreed that the default position for Thursday bowls was for games of pairs, rather than triples.

The strategic review of bowls in the ACT was discussed. Rob Rawson is meant to meet with the RSM agency conducting the review on Friday 27 September. It was agreed to instead arrange a meeting with the BMC on the same day or possibly Thursday 26 September. All members have been forwarded the survey to allow them to participate in the review.

Hilary Merritt noted that Tuggeranong bowls club have taken on a new style of club jacket that is impressive and cheaper than our current style of jackets. The BMC agreed that Hilary should investigate the possibilities for our club.

It was agreed that Thursday and Saturday social bowls would revert to morning starts at 10am from the commencement of daylight saving, i.e., after 6 October 2019.

It was agreed to support our 3 ACT over 60s representatives with a contribution of $200 each for their participation in upcoming tournaments.

Deb McGown could not attend the meeting, but provided a written report on women’s weekday pennants and the Doran bowls.

It was agreed to pay $84 from petty cash to cover green fees and lunch for our Doran bowls representatives.

STATUS OF GREEENS

A written report was not provided. Ray McInnes provided an oral report about work proposed for greens 1, 2 and 3.

NEW MEMBERS

A nomination for Stuart Shearwood was endorsed.

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be on 23 October 2019.

Meeting closed at 2.20.

 

 

 

Rob Rawson (President)                                             Mark Carter (Secretary)